Friday, January 25, 2013

A book a day keeps stupidity away;)


Scripture study.. This past year I have worked really hard to establish a fixed routine of scripture reading.  I used to hate riding the train to work because it was so looong and boring, but now have replaced that boring time with Spritual Enlightenment time. From trying to study things out for myself I have come to the knowledge that the scriptures are like a giant reservoir of wisdom and I have but merely scooped up a few handfuls of it's knowledge.  The saying "the more you know, the more you realize you don't know" definitely applies here. I have begun to ask myself how can I come to better understand the scriptures and the things they teach? I always feel like I don't know everything, and want so badly to just know it well enough to answer any questions someone might have.  Well, as I was trying to figure out how I can better understand Christ's gospel, I had a line from the sound of music pop into my head. Seriously! I did. You know.. The song where Maria sings "Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start..."Well, once I heard this line I also had this thought pop into my head, "all I need to know are the basics and I can keep building from there." I realized I can't expect to understand everything all at once, but the knowledge I seek will come line upon line and precept upon precept.  It definitely was a comforting thought. So, on that note I thought I would indeed "start at the very  beginning" by also reading gospel principles along with my regular scripture study.  I have to tell you.. I just LOVE that book.  It makes everything so simple.  I know this book is a teachers manual for the gospel principles class, but I promise.  You won't regret reading it.  In fact, you may just come to LOVE it;).  So if you're looking for something to add to your reading list, I'd recommend gospel principles. 

images.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. That's a really great idea. I always feel like I don't know enough, too! But I guess that's the point of this big life, right? I also love to keep a journal. I used to be better at it, but I still try. I love going back and seeing the ways my testimony grew that I have usually forgotten! You always think, "I could never forget this!" and it's so sad, but you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start writing in a journal! That's such a smart idea. I usually read scriptures on my iPhone, and then tag notes about different scriptures on the side, but I think te idea of having a journal is so much better. I am so glad you understand how I feel. Sometimes I look at people and think... "How the heck did you know that?" I have to remind myself that they are older and have had much more time to study things out and learn from their own experiences. I strive to be te kind of person that knows all te answers. I don't know all of them now, but have faith that I will sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya girl. Sometimes I get nervous to make a comment in Sunday School or whatever, but then I remember that I don't know what people need to hear and maybe what I say is exactly what they need to hear, even if it's simple. I just think of all the times someone said exactly what I needed to hear and how grateful I was they had the guts to say it.

    ReplyDelete